Friday, September 6, 2013

Book Review: The Bookstore by Deborah Meyler





Esme from England is in New York to gain her doctorate in art history.  She's dating a rich professor from another college named Mitchell.  In her spare time she likes hanging out at this used bookstore named The Owl.  When something unexpected happens, she finds she needs a job, one that the university can't find out about as she is attending on a work study program, meaning the only jobs she can get are with the university.  In swoops The Owl to help her out.  The story is mainly about  whether Mitchell and Esme will stay together during this crisis.  He's from a well-to-do family and she's not.  Does he give into family pressure?  What does his heart truly say?

The Owl is a shabby used bookstore bringing with it a cast of characters that help Esme through the trying times.  I really liked the different characters she interacted with.  She had her fellow employees, her boss, shoppers, and the homeless trying to sell books to the store.

This book has its ups and downs.  There were times when I couldn't wait to read the next page and other times when I wanted to throw it against the wall, but I didn't because it's on my laptop and I'm not about to throw my laptop against the wall.  I did make it to the end.  I'll be honest.  I'm not too happy with the ending.  It did feel like this was the ending that was supposed to happen in the author's mind, but the story before it didn't quite lead up to it correctly.

I think overall readers will enjoy this story.  It won't be the greatest story they've ever read, but they won't be disappointed.

I read this as a review request from netgalley.com using Adobe Digital on my laptop.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated for this review in any way.



No comments:

Post a Comment