Sunday, June 23, 2013

Book Review: The Victory Season by Robert Weintraub




A look at baseball after WWII.  This book concentrates on the season after WWII when the ball players as well as the rest of America were coming home from the war and trying to get everything back to normal.  It mainly focuses on three teams vying for postseason play; St. Louis Cardinals, Brooklyn Dodgers, and Boston Red Sox.

As a baseball fan, I was intrigued by the book.  There were some interesting bits.  Along with focusing on the major leagues, some pages were devoted to Jackie Robinsons's time at Montreal, the then AAA team of the Brooklyn Dodgers.  This was the year before his famed call up.  But, overall the story was dry and hard to follow.  In the middle of a tale the story would go on a tangent and end up somewhere else, confusing as to where in the time line the reader has ended up.

Not a completely bad book, but I'm sure there are better ones out there on this topic.  I chose to read this book because I was pre-approved at the beginning of this year's MLB season as I'm sure others were, too.

I read this as a review request from netgalley.com using Adobe Digital on my laptop.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated for this review in any way.



No comments:

Post a Comment