Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Book Review: Paper Airplanes by Kersten L. Kelly





Kersten travels an awful lot for work.  Throughout her travels she has met many interesting people and heard interesting stories.  All of this happens on the airplane to and from her destinations.  She decided to take these stories and work them into a book, which is what we have here with Paper Airplane.

Kersten is a good storyteller.  She doesn't just arbitrarily put the tales in the book.  Each one, she feels, has a purpose and has taught her something.  She writes of tales of a soldier coming home, a man having a heart attack on the airplane, and a woman getting kicked off the airplane.  She has included many other stories that are a joy to read as well.  Kersten is outgoing and not afraid to talk to those who sit next to her and hear their story.

There are a grammar issues in the book.  They don't affect the storytelling.  One of the name changes really baffled me.  Kersten Kelly changes the names to protect identities.  One of the people she meets has a brother who is in the NFL Hall of Fame, if I remember correctly.  I do remember she named his team The Jacksonville Jackhammers.  I can't blame this on not knowing, because she is a fan of the Chicago Bears, so she has exposure to the NFL.  It just struck me as weird and stuck with me.  But, it didn't take away from the story or the rest of the book.

I read this book as a review request using the Kindle App on my laptop.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated for this review in any way.




No comments:

Post a Comment