Monday, April 15, 2013

Book Review: High School Substitute Teacher's Guide by Cherise Kelley





I don't plan on becoming a high school substitute teacher any time soon, but one time my brother was talking to my sister about it and did get me interested.  When I was given the choice to review this book on substituting I thought it would be worth the read.  It was, even though I don't plan on actually using the information.

Cherise Kelley is an experienced high school substitute teacher and with this book she gives tips and help on how to become a substitute and what to do when one is a substitute.  If you want to be, are, or entertain thoughts on being a high school substitute teacher you should definitely check out this book.

From goodreads.com:
"You're a high school substitute? Are you crazy? We were so mean to them!" This is a common reaction when I tell people what I do, but I love substitute teaching at the high school level. 
This book will give ideas on how to deal with students.  I didn't like how she separated the underclassmen (9th and 10th graders) and upperclassmen (11th and 12th graders).  She treats the underclassmen like children and the upperclassmen as adults.  I do not have experience teaching or substituting these age groups, but I would imagine to get better behavior from the underclassmen one should treat them as adults as well.  Purely opinion, though.  I could be wrong.

Definitely a good read if you are planning on becoming a high school substitute teacher.  If you have substituted middle or elementary students don't just think it is the same!

I read this book as a review request using the Kindle app on my laptop.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated for this review in any way.


No comments:

Post a Comment