Monday, October 8, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday

 
As of the writing of this post I still do not have my laptop.  I have been told by the guy fixing it that according to IBM the part should arrive today (Monday), but I wonder because today is Columbus Day.  So, tomorrow (which is today, the day I post this), maybe?  Anyway, onto today's top 10.

Top Ten Rewind: Books I'll Never Read
This is one I didn't participate in for I didn't join this meme until a few weeks ago.

1. His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman
I'm not going to read or show any kind of support for something and someone so blatantly anti-Christian.  He's admitted that's what the series is, so I'll never touch it.

2. Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer
Do I have to explain this?  It's badly written.  It's cheesy beyond belief.  It's a mockery of all other succesful series out there, especially vampire ones which I don't read and any popular series that has come out around the same time as Twilight.  It's a joke.

3. The Host by Stephenie Meyer
Another book by Stephenie Meyer that's getting turned into a movie.  I roll my eyes.

4. The Da Vinci Code, it's sequel and prequel by Dan Brown
No.  I did for a while want to read Angels and Demons after this girl in a college class showed it to me, but that quickly passed.  I feel The Da Vinci Code is making a mockery of Christianity with the idea that Jesus could have been married to Mary Magdalene.  I'm not going to put myself through reading something that will just make me madder and madder with each turning of the page.

5. 50 Shades of Grey Trilogy by E. L. James
Pure smut.  Call me a prude.  I don't care.  From what I've read on the internet this series is like Twilight without the vampires and a lot more sex.  I won't read Twilight so why would I want to read it with more sex?  The male protagonist should not be anyone's ideal mate.  It's horrible.  I don't see anything romantic in the relationship at all.

6. Eragon by Christopher Paolini
Maybe I am just falling in with the anti-hype with this one.  I should be careful of that.  I've heard this book and series are badly written by a boy who only got published because of who he was related to.  That rubbed me the wrong way, so I don't want to pick this book up.

7. The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
I don't know.  All I hear is that this book helped me, it saved my life, blah, blah, blah.  It seems like one of those fad self help books. What's the secret?  Being positive. The hype and popularity over this book gets to me.  I don't want to fall into the trap that this book is the greatest thing in the world and I have the answers to life.  If you read it and enjoyed it that's great.  That's you.  That's fine.

8. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
It just seems like one of those books people read because everyone else is reading it.  That doesn't make it good literature.  The cynic in me sees this book as being written just to get a free trip (the trip she writes about is financed by a book deal).  I will admit that when I first heard the title of this book (actually, when I first saw it on a store shelf) I though it was a cookbook.  I was confused how a cookbook could be so popular.  

9. The Odyssey by Homer
I was assigned to read this at the end of the ninth grade.  I love to read.  Of course, that's why I have this blog.  I could not for the life of me get into this story.  I put it down and haven't wanted to finish the story since.  It's been about 15 years.  I know it's popular and supposed to be really good.  I just can't get into it.

10. Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Another story along the lines of Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey.  So not interested. Also not interested in the author.  Actually, I take that back.  I am interested in her internet melt down.  Her attitude makes me want to stay away from her work.   

No comments:

Post a Comment