Monday, September 24, 2012

Book Review: Kicking Eternity by Ann Lee Miller




Set at a Christian summer camp, Kicking Eternity is the story of four young adult counselors, Raine, Drew, Cal, and Aly.

Raine is the main main character. It's really her story we read.  Her mission has always been to go to Africa. Obstacles stand in her way.  She needs to find God's true path for her and go where He wants her.

Drew, her closest friend, is still in love with his old girlfriend.  He believes it's God's will for the two to be together.  It's his mission to find out the truth about Sam and where his friendship with Raine fits in all this.

Cal is a brother to Jesse the camp director, which is how he got the job since he does not identify himself as Christian.  An artist, he falls for Raine and wants to be what she wants in a man.  Can he be true to himself and be what Raine wants?

Aly is good friends with Cal, but how far does this friendship go?  She's also roommates with Raine during summer camp, but finds the two are different.  Is Raine annoying or is there something deeper?  Does Aly want to find something deeper or keep to her boyfriend bouncing ways?

This is the summer for all four.  They are tempted and tested, growing to find who they really are and what really matters in life.

It's undoubtly Christian, but I felt it was too in-your-face.  It didn't feel quite as genuine as other Christian novels I've read.  Maybe I'm just being cynical.  I am too cynical for my own good sometimes.  Christians are to pray, I know, but it just felt they did it too much, like a "get out of jail free" card.  But, overall, it was a good young adult story.

I read this review request using the Kindle App on my laptop.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated for this review in any way.



No comments:

Post a Comment