Monday, August 20, 2012

Book Review: I Feel Only You by Cadence Donovan




The marriage of a movie star and a non-famous non-celebrity girl.  Jackson, the movie-star, has kept his marriage under wraps, hidden from the prying eyes of Hollywood.  He's managed to keep his wife, Chalice, and his daughter, Claire, as well as Chalice's older children from a previous marriage, hidden for five years, at Chalice's request.

This is Chalice's coming out party.  She lives in Texas with her daughter while her husband makes movies.  She wanted to be out of the spotlight, but felt it was right for Jackson's career to let herself be known to his fans.

Chalice and Jackson have a very Christian marriage.  I love the Christianity throughout the story.  It isn't in your face, but it is there on almost every page.  I did, however, feel that some things were too explicit and pulled away from any intended Christian message.

The major problem I had was with Claire.  She's three years old in this story but acting like she's 25.  I get that she is mature and smart.  She is being shown beyond the levels of Dakota Fanning and Emily Mae Young.  She's not written well.  She is only three, so while she may be very mature and very smart, I feel there is so much she should not be able to do at this time.  It's okay for her to be able to sing and play the violin like nobody's business.  She can read novels on a fifth grade level.  She keeps up with her mother's schedule better than she does and that includes eating the right kinds of  cereal for breakfast.  It's not so much that she doesn't allow herself such-and-such cereal.  It's how she presents it.  She feels too grown up.

I digress.  While I say it's a major issue, it's really minor in the scheme of things.  The story wrapped me up.  I wanted to know what would happen next.  There's one bit at the end that I think was overly dramatic.  Chalice suffers from an accident and I feel the result doesn't match up with the incident, but it creates tension and a good cliff hanger for what I think will be a sequel (this is, after all, labeled Shared Senses #1).

I read this as a review request using the Kindle app on my laptop.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated for this review in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment