Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Book Review: Embracing Me, Embracing You by Michelle Bellon

PG-13, 3 stars

Lost love.  Love lost.  This is the story of Roshell McRady.  Growing up in a trailer park in the 90s is not easy.  Feeding herself and her cousins is her responsibility and she doesn't want to admit that she's ashamed of her home.  Her life isn't easy.

Roshell meets Gabriel.  He's interested in her.  She's interested in him.  So, why don't things work out?  She's the type of person who takes what life throws at her and life is throwing Gabriel.  Why isn't she taking him?

That's a big question running through my head throughout the story.  The author is intentionally keeping these two people apart and it felt off for me.

Also, intermingled in each chapter were sections narrated by another character, from another character's point-of-view.  It was nice to see what they were thinking, but it was a distraction from Roshell's story.  My thought is do the best to show the story or at least a chapter or section from one character's point of view.   It's lazy in that the author is not able to convey what she wants through the original narrator.  If that narrator can't show it, it's not meant to be shown.

Filled with young adult humor and 90s style, Roshell's story surprises with hard hitting moments giving the book a clever edge.  If you like young adult romance there is a good chance you will enjoy this book.

I read this as a review request using the Kindle app on my laptop.  All my opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.




If you click on the book cover image at the top of the page the link will take you to the Goodreads page for the book.  I have done this for every book review on this site.  I don't know if anyone's noticed as it is not as noticeable like an underlined link.  I want everyone to be able to take advantage of everything they want to on this site.  I add it to give more to the book review and let you, the reader, know more about the book.  If you want to buy the book or anything at Amazon.com please click on the Amazon Associates link provided. It helps bloggers like me keep blogging and provide giveaways.

No comments:

Post a Comment