Saturday, March 3, 2012

Book Review: Room by Emma Donoghue

I love the way this book is written.  It's told from the perspective of a five year old who has never ventured outside the one place he calls home: Room.

From Goodreads.com, because I can't say it better myself.
Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, "Room" is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another.
Jack is held captive in this room with his mother.  He interacts with no one else.  He has a few possessions and he does get to watch TV, but he doesn't know there is a world beyond his Room.  He was born in this room.

There's so much I could talk about, but I don't want to spoil the book for anyone who hasn't read it.  If you haven't read it I do say you should pick up a copy as soon as possible. I don't think you'll be disappointed.  The story was thoroughly engaging.  I was very interested in everything Jack went through and I love the way he talked.

One thing I really enjoyed was the word sandwiches Jack made like calling his step grandfather Steppa and when someone's brave, but still scared they're scave. He was scave a lot.

I give this book 5/5 stars and I read it for pure pleasure.


No comments:

Post a Comment