Monday, January 2, 2012

Book Review: A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery #4) by Amy Clipston

I like reading Amish fiction, but I've never read anything outside Beverly Lewis.  Amy Clipston's fourth book in her Kauffman Amish Bakery series was a pleasant surprise.

I did not know when I read the book that it was the fourth book in the series.  I didn't feel I lost anything not reading the first three books, but I do want to go back and read them.  The characters back stories from those novels was sufficiently explained in this one that I could enjoy it just the same.

18-year-old Lindsay Bedford is at a crossroads in her life.  Her older sister is heading off to a prestigious internship in New York City while her Amish friends are being baptized and joining the church.

The story is full of Amish culture giving readers a compelling story with characters that touch us.  What will Lindsay do?  How does she fare in the English world when she has to step outside and help an ailing friend?  Will she follow her sister's wants and desires by joining the English world or will she find it in her heart to stay Amish?

In the front of the book is a glossary of German or Pennsylvania Dutch terms used by Amish and in the book.  Clipston uses these phrases throughout the story.   Having the glossary allows the reader to know the meaning of the words without breaking up the flow of the story by inserting the English word in the prose.

At the end of every few chapters, Clipston includes an Amish recipe.  I did not care for them.  I am here for the story and that's it.  If I want a recipe I'll search online or open up a cookbook.  I'm sure many Amish fiction fans will find them useful.

I gave the book 4 out of 5 stars.  I received the book as a free ebook from netgalley.com.  I was not compensated or asked for a review.

2 comments: