Saturday, November 26, 2011

30 Day Harry Potter Challenge: Saddest Moment

Saddest Moment


I don't cry when I read.  I don't.  Deaths don't make me sad like that.  Makes me sound unemotional or cold, but I'm not.  I just don't cry.  I didn't cry when Sirius died.  I didn't cry when Dumbledore died.  I didn't cry when Hedwig, Moody, Dobby, Fred, Lupin, Tonks, or anyone else died.  I felt something, I did.  I just didn't cry.

When I read The Prince's Tale and The Forest Again, tears escaped my eyes.  For those of you who don't know, those are chapters in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.  When Dumbledore and Snape revealed Harry had to sacrifice himself I cried.  I couldn't believe Rowling was going to kill off her main character.  He was going to die and that was the end of that.  For Harry fans and even non-Harry fans we know what happened, but at that moment it looked so true that Harry would walk to his death and not return alive.  I couldn't believe it.  I mean, I could believe Rowling would write something like that.  That's why I was sad, but I couldn't accept that Harry was going to end his life.  He was doing it for the greater good, because he had a saving people thing.

I kept a notebook while reading Deathly Hallows and this is what I wrote when I found out Harry was to sacrifice himself:

Chapter thirty-three: The Prince's Tale
OK.  Not much I want to mention.  Snape was friends with Lily.  He was "that awful boy" Petunia mentioned.  What Snape had given Harry was memories.  He watched all these memories of Lily and Snape where Lily started to dislike Snape.  We watched Snape do good things for Dumbledore.  Snape disliked Harry because he reminded him of James, who took Lily away.  Dumbledore said a piece of Voldemort's soul went into Harry and so to kill Voldemort, Voldemort has to kill Harry.
The first time I officially shed tears over something in Harry Potter.  Harry can't die.  NO!


Chapter thirty-four: The Forest Again
Harry gave himself up to Voldemort.  He passed Neville and told him to go after the snake, too.
Oh my god!  Oh my god!

No comments:

Post a Comment